Monday, October 31, 2011

It SEEMS like a good idea, but it might not be.

So I'm planning, as of right now, to do NaNoWriMo again this year. It starts tomorrow. I have an extensive outline of a sequel to the novel I've been working on since last year at this same time, and my plan is to put that in actual readable format (if I can read my own writing -- it's getting sketchier by the day, and smaller).

The thing is, I haven't finished that novel from last year. As I've mentioned over and over ad nauseum (if you're my Facebook friend), I'm still finishing up the second draft. And my original plan was to be all the way to a third, really polished draft by this point, so I wouldn't feel bad about working so hard on something new. But that didn't quite work out, as you can see by my two prior entries.

So here's the plan: I'm just going to do it anyway. I'm going to chalk not being where I wanted to be with Less Than Perfect up to life, which I'm sure all writers must experience more often than not, and I'm going to go ahead and do NaNoWriMo. I'm going to get as far as I can in revision by the end of this week, and then send it out to my readers. And while I'm doing that, I'll just strive for 2-4 pages per day on the new thing for NaNo. And then once it's sent out, I'm going to set it aside for the rest of November while I hit the new thing hard, and get back to it with fresh eyes and mind on December 1.

Oh my god. My heart just started racing as I typed that last sentence. Set it aside?? What am I thinking? It's sort of like sending The Pook over to his dad's house for an entire month.

On the other hand, I'm to the point where there are parts of it I can't even stand to look at right now. So I think a break is necessary.

So it SEEMS like a good idea, but it might not be.

No comments: