Tuesday, April 19, 2005

2005: The Year of the Geek

I was talking to Melissa earlier and realized that 2005 is shaping up to be a brilliant year for geeks and nerds everywhere. I mean, I suspected it a while back, but let's take a look at this dude who was just selected as the new Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church -- he's like the Geek in Charge now! He just reeks of geek! So God is clearly on the side of all we nerds, geeks and dweebies.

And what better way for Him to show His divine love for us than by bringing us the following geeky Exciting Things to Look Forward To:

1). Release of the long-anticipated Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Finally!! Anakin Skywalker's downward spiral into the Dark Side of the Force. 28 years in the making!! Really, some of us have been waiting almost our entire lives for this. Now would be a good time to mention that my son wants to invite George Lucas to his birthday party. At least the child comes by the geekiness honestly. May 19th at theatres everywhere (just warming up in case Moviefone ever offers me a gig...).

2). Later this month there's also the release of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Apparently people have been waiting a long time to see this made into a movie. I confess to not being a good enough geek to have ever read the books. Might remedy that someday, but for now, I'll just throw it out there as evidence of more geeky fun. April 29th at a theatre near you.

3). July 16th is the release date of JK Rowling's newest Harry Potter tome, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This overshadows any other geek event for me personally. There is nothing more exciting to me than a new Harry Potter book. Have no clue what I will do for fun when, a few years from now, the last book is finished and there aren't even any more Star Wars films to look forward to. I will be adrift, and forced to spend more time geeking out over music than ever before. Anyway, at my house, we will celebrate this book's release thusly: Take geek group to Borders in Littleton to line up for midnight release; grab our books; come back here and sit around and read all night and into the day; no one gets to leave till everyone's done. Pizza will be provided, and much caffeine. Discussion will follow. No slow readers allowed. RSVP to me!

4). And then November brings a second Harry Potter treat our geeky way: the next movie based on the books, The Goblet of Fire. This one sees Harry and company get older and better-looking.

5). Also, Batman Begins looks to be shaping up to be good geeky fun. I think it's a late summer release.

I'm sure there are fabulous geek events going down this year that I'm not even aware of, but I wanted to point out these major, on-the-radar moments. I think we should have t-shirts made up, in some sort of retro-1970s foul green color with "2005: The Year of the Geek" on the front, and a list of important geek events of 2005 on the back. It'll be just like college... only without the drunk professors.

God, I am so PSYCHED!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All hail the geeks! You know I'm becoming a bigger geek by the week and I owe it all to Rob. ;) Although, I haven't completely written him off to geekville yet because he did buy me a frozen coke last night. :) Geeks don't like frozen soft drinks, do they?

I want to come to your party, but alas, I'll be here, probably still waiting for Amazon to deliver my book. Think of me, lol.

Think I need to catch up on the Star Wars movies. I've only seen the originals and I need to see the yumminess that is Ewan as Obi-Wan. How cool would the pooker be if George Lucas DID come to his birthday party??? ;) lol

Unknown said...

Oh, I think that geeks love frozen soft drinks all right, but they will bore you to tears with their theories and explanations of what makes said frozen soft drink good.

Anonymous said...

See, I was afraid of that because he did tell me that we could mix the different flavors (and I was like, "Why ruin something so perfect?" and he said, "Cherry coke." Apparently there's a science to this...